Friday, October 15, 2010

Re-evaluating What You Already Own

While looking through an old copy of Real Simple magazine I saw this little birdie from Aero Studios. Well, I have that same birdie, he's actually a bottle opener that I've had forever. I can't even remember when or where I got it. Since it was being offered for $35 I thought I'd try to find out the history of this object, knowing full well I would not have paid that price for it.
 
Mine actually looks more like this one, well if I took the bother to polish it, that is: 

 

This one is described as a vintage silver-plated bottle opener in the shape of a little fat bird(sparrow, finch or wren?). His tail is the bottler opener and underneath is a cavity that is used as an opener for screw type lids. It measures about 3.5 inches long x 2.5 inches wide.

I have now seen this for every price from $6 to one currently advertised on Etsy for $42 dollars! Albeit that one was in better condition than the one above, but still... Some sellers on eBay claim that their bird is from Germany or Spain, but I have seen that there are enough of them that they are NOT rare.

But then I found one seller showing the original box...from AVON and the Made in China sticker. So don't get ripped off and always do your research. There is no excuse now that we have this here thing called the Internet, right?

I am now going to treasure mine...right after I go polish it, of course!

Images: Real Simple magazine, Worthpoint.com

No comments: