Monday, July 07, 2008

The Very First Apartment (1994 - 1995)

Location: 3131 Hanover Avenue, Richmond, VA, c.1994.



Another picture of a past home. In fact, this is my very first solo apartment. I still have and use three of the four furniture pieces in this room; the coffee table (now painted golden yellow), the side table (which is spring green with a mosaic top) and the lovely platform rocker. In fact, I even still have the green color-shot fabric that I draped over the curtain rod.


I chose that blazing sunflower yellow myself, spent a weekend painting it. Unfortunately, I had to pay for the apartment to be repainted when I moved because my sub-lease candidate fell through. Yeah, she was totally on-board with the color too!


I regret throwing out this chair. I had picked it up thinking I would reupholster it but that design was far too advanced and frightening for a first-time project. Just look at the wood on the sides! In the years since, I have never seen another chair constructed like it! Have you? Does anyone have any idea what it is or what time period it was from?

The ultimate kicker about this apartment was that my rent was $295 in 1995!

No comments: