Friday, December 30, 2011

SHELTER Sets: Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer

Relativity Media (2011) Jordana Beatty, Heather Graham Set Design: Cynthia Charette, Don Diers I have never seen this movie, but the images on the Set Decorators Society of America (SDSA) website captured my attention. The look of this film is the work of production designer Cynthia Charette and set decorator Don Diers. The designers took their inspiration from the Judy Moody books written by Megan McDonald and its black and white illustrations, drawn by Peter H. Reynolds. Image: Suzanne Tenner Adorable house, even more adorable to me if the door was orange and the shutters leaf green. Image: Ken Haber I could move right into this living room without changing much. I could even stand the wallpaper, but I would need a richer, spicier rug. That sofa is a dream; the color, the comfy shape, and well, come on - it's velvet! I like that the furnishings used were from a myriad of sources; Pottery Barn, Home Goods, LampsPlus Crate & Barrel, Target, CraigsList and even local thrift stores. Image: Ken Haber This pass-thru shows the eclecticism of the decor, with the whimsical and graphic grandfather clock and the folksy, hand-painted secretary desk on the other side of the entrance. Image: Ken Haber The kitchen is a room where I might make a few more changes. Love the floor, not the rug, Change out the table and chairs for a round wooden table and black Windsor chairs. I would also exchange the chandelier for a old-time surface mounted light fixture, remove the quaint wallpaper, and paint the walls a nice cake batter yellow. Image: Ken Haber Here is their imaginative take on a thrift/antique store. Check out that orphaned old teacup car and the seven foot tall legs! I want to go to there! Images: by Suzanne Tenner, Judy Moody Productions and Ken Haber. Set Decorators Society of America website

No comments: