Friday, January 29, 2010

My 2nd Favorite Piece of Furniture



You've already heard about the first, my $25 gift from my father. Well, here's a free bureau/desk I received from my older sister years ago, who got it at a yard sale.


Top and Bottom
curved details that I love about it

It's in the same bad condition it was when I received it except now it has three vertical streaks down its front. Unfortunately, when I moved from Northern VA to Richmond, the drawers were taped so that the drawers would not fall out. The marks are what appeared when the tape; clear packing tape, was removed. Therefore, even though I was tired of the beaten and graffiti-covered look before, I feel I really need to do something about it now.



Above is the secretary desk part of it with drop-down table. The desk caddy is on metal rollers and can be removed. When I had less closet space I used that area to stack my sweaters. Now it holds resume materials, printer paper, blank envelopes, my old cameras, jewelry, and some makeup.

I truly love this piece and I guess the main reason I haven't done anything to it is because I'm scared of ruining it. I know if you paint something you can always repaint it, but I have yet to do that with any other furniture I've painted. So I guess I feel I only have one shot at it. I'm thinking a dark blue-green to mix it in with my other bedroom stuff. However, before I tackle this piece I still have to finish the armoire in the living room which more people will see.

By the way, I would love to have a matching bedside table for this, so if anyone knows of one, let me know!

4 comments:

Anne (in Reno) said...

I love a nice secretary desk! I am actually in the process of stripping and refinishing a table from my grandmother and it is pretty exciting, have you considered going that route instead of repainting?

ATG said...

That is beautiful! I love the secretary part...it's like a secret compartment.

Bed Linens said...

This is the good blog with good images and good details. Please keep on posting the more stuff. I will like to hear more from you.

Portable Buildings said...

Hi, You are doing great job, keep it up