Monday, December 21, 2009

A Proper Cup of Tea, My Lady?

This post is just a teaser. I still have over twenty pictures I need to clean up in Photoshop first but I wanted you to see where I spent my office holiday party.



Yup. Can you believe it? The Virginia House, also known as the former home of Ambassador Alexander and Virginia Weddell, is listed on both the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places as DHR ID #127-0255. Built in the style of European manor homes it is actually a reconstructed composite of many native English structures, spanning in age from the 12th century to 1940s Classical Revival. It is complete with medieval leaded glass windows, dark oak paneling, hidden passages, plaster coffered ceilings, and a Tudor garden. To read more about the house and its architecture, check out the 1989 National Register of Historic Places nomination here. More pictures coming soon.

* The Virginia Historical Society owns and manages the property.

4 comments:

A DC said...

My volunteer group does some of the removal of invasive species on the property in the summer. :)

Fluxion/MCH said...

This place looks amazing...

I wish we COULD tea there!

Anonymous said...

Your notation that Virginia House is a VA state property is incorrect. The Virginia Historical Society, which owns and operates Virginia House, is a private, non-profit organization.

lsaspacey said...

Anonymous,
My mistake. Thank you.