Tuesday, September 22, 2009

So, Is It An Improvement?


109 East Grace Street before and after

I think this means the building is finished and ready for occupancy. So, what do you think?

Funny thing is, the building has just showed up on the Thalhimer website. Each twin retail space is 1,050 square feet. Of course, you already know how I feel about the paint job but again I have to question their choices. Since the space has been split up into two separate stores; what two retail operations (unless they were related businesses) would want to look "exactly" the same? Especially when that look is so high profile?

The building was built in 1935, which explains the Art Deco influence. What they recently added:


Shiny, reflective, stamped metal and...


attractive copper and steel sconces.*

A look inside:


(Pictures taken through the glass window)

I have to admit I really like the interiors with the skylights and the tin ceilings. I'll have to chat up the workers next time so I can go in. You see, the exterior of the building seems like two stories; much taller than the interior, so I'm curious as to what you see through the skylight. Is there really a higher floor or does the building have a false front on top of the first floor?

So, what do you think now?

* They have been on 24-hours a day since they were installed. What's up with that?

3 comments:

Anne At Large said...

I think the metal strip and the sconce are both interesting, but I can't imagine wanting to move my business in there under that paint job. Unless they are actually trying to get some whimsical tenants, I could see that paint job going with a candy store or something. But still, WTF?

Interiors are interesting though, I LOVE the tin ceiling. I can't wait to see what goes in there!

lsaspacey said...

We do have a full block of shops in another area of town that are similarly candy colored, though they are much more tasteful than this. They have maybe three different colors, tops. I'll try to get some comparison shots of them.

Donnell Allan said...

Ewww. I think they are garish. That's my two cents worth.