Wednesday, August 09, 2006

IKEA, wonderfully cheap

This weekend, I was just in the general IKEA area saying goodbye to great friends who are moving to Italy for two years. They will also take two of the sweetest little girls in the world with them, my "god daughters". Boo hoo.

However, on my way home, I ended up in IKEA. Since going to Miami on vacation two weeks ago, I have no money. I was just going to look...there is no harm in that, right?

Well, I did end up spending some money, but it was very little, I swear! In fact, I only spent $8.


  1. BETTAN cushion cover is to be made into a skirt much like FehrTrade did here. She inspired me to try it too. I don't wear a lot of bright colors, so I decided to take a risk, and for $6.99, how could I resist? One thing I don't understand is why they chose to show the back on the web site, when this other side is more exciting. I am going to try to make it while keeping the zipper intact and just adding a few darts, a solid color band for a waistband, and a hem. However, the zipper would be the full length of the skirt, so perhaps I need to think about this a little more. I'll keep you (If there IS anyone out there?) informed.

  2. SKOGSBAR plant pot. This is an incredible deal at $.99 a pot! Come on? I'm not talking a clay pot, which goes for about $3-4. This is a glazed stoneware pot, available in great colors for less than a dollar. I want to get them in the green, orange, and yellow. Hopefully, next time I will be able to keep a plant alive as my Calla Lily finally passed on about four weeks ago.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm so flattered you liked my skirt! If you've got small enough hips (<40", I was one inch off at the time!) you can probably just unpick the top and bottom seam and just add a few darts at the top to create some shape. You could then either hem the top open edges or lay on some bias tape like I did. easy! Email me if you've got any questions. melissa @ fehrtrade

Anonymous said...

This may be really obvious and if so I apologize, but make sure that you don't have the plants and soil directly in that cute pot -- they need to be able to drain after being watered. (My peace lily was in a closed pot when I got it and was doing very poorly until I realized the problem and transferred it to a draining pot.)

Anonymous said...

wonderful idea. if you do get round to it, remember to send the hack to me. ;P am already itching to post it.

pan-aho said...

I saw the amazingly low priced Ikea pots in a gardening magazine and loved the looks of them. Only trouble, when I went to the Ikea site I kept having a "zero response" message. I then tried through another site and got an Ikea "error" response page. Do you know how to find these pots?

pan-aho said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lsaspacey said...

Sarau,
The link doesn't work because they don't make that particular pot anymore. They do still make the BILLIG, for only 50 cents. They only show it in white on the site, but it's offered in other colors at the store. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quick response. I went to the site to check out the newer pot(s), but they seem kinda small. Gotta think it over . . . Thanks, again.